TOWN OF WILLINGTON
Open Burning Permits & Requirements
The following establish requirements will become effective on January 1, 2000.
v The Fire Marshal will issue all “Open Burning Permits”. Permits can be obtained by calling 860-429-7757. If I’m not available, please leave a message with your name, address, and phone number. I will get back to you ASAP.
Burning Permits requests will be taken Monday through Thursday “ONLY”, and Permits will be delivered to the Fire Department on Friday mornings.
The Fire Department hours are 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, this is at 426 River Rd. Please schedule accordingly.
v BURNING IS DONE BY PERMIT ONLY; failure to obtain a permit may result in police action.
The following are a few rules that apply to burning brush:
1. Brush MUST BE 3” or less in diameter.
2. MUST BE attended at all times.
3. Burning must be on the property for which the permit is issued. Houses under construction or businesses MAY NOT BURN.
4. Burning must be conducted between 10am and 5pm, sunny or partly sunny day, with wind speeds less than 15 miles per hour.
5. Burning isn’t allowed on High or Extreme Hazards condition.
6. NO demolition waste, garbage, paper, plastic, painted materials, rubber, or metal can be burned.
7. NO leaves or stumps can be burned.
A telephone call to the dispatch center 860-875-2543 is required before burning.
As an alternative brush maybe dropped off at the transfer station on Hancock Road.
Permits are not required for the following:
1. Barbecues, or other outdoor cooking.
2. Campfires, bonfires under 3” diameter of the brush and 4’ diameter circle for ceremonial or other activities including recreational purposes.